Sadly we’re having to sell Doris, our 1972 VW camper van.
She was built in a town called Wolfsburg, in Germany around 1972, she was then internally fitted into a camper and registered in 1973.
We’ve had her for 6 years, and she’s been with us on camping trips around the UK, France, Belgium, The Netherlands, Luxembourg, Germany, Denmark, Sweden. We’ve also been to multiple music festivals in the UK and Europe.
She has a 2L twin carb air cooled rear engine which we had completely re-conditioned about 2 years ago. She’s got a high top, so sleeps 4, with the ‘rock n roll’ bed down below.
She has a built in fridge, sink + tap (inc electric pump), 2x hob, water bottle and gas canister.
As well as the re-conditioned engine we have done work externally and internally – including installation of new brakes, heat exchangers and exhaust system, installation of a leisure battery + charger, re-spraying panels, replacing internal door mechanisms + window seals, updating internal wiring, internal ‘rock n roll’ cushions and covers + new curtains.
She does come with some rust, mostly around the windows, You can see extended photos in the gallery here
She comes with a 12 Month MOT, is road tax free, and despite her age is a very solid van.
We’re looking for £5k, let me know if you are interested in seeing her.
You can reach me on firstname.lastname@example.org or call me on 07740 333573
I find it easy to adapt to putting every waking minute I have into my work, possibly too easily, especially when I am working to deploy a new product with a fixed deadline.
After the deadline has passed, and you’ve delivered your work, it’s nice to re-discover your spare time, and realise that you don’t have to work ALL the time.
Having said that, working for Libboo doesn’t feel like work, I spend my spare time designing/coding/developing anyway, so Libboo is just on a much larger scale, with a bigger team, and financial backing.
We new we had some serious changes to make to the site, we cranked our brains over several weeks to come up with a suitable solution, it was big, and was going to require a lot of work.
The changes meant that we would be starting from scratch in various areas; we could no-longer rely on the same interface, the code that had been written over more than four years, or the aging database, and we were going to have to do something drastic. We started with a sparkling white php file, and began the lengthy process of updating and migrating all the required backend code to our new codebase. The database was stripped back to the core of what we required, emptied of data, and re-built to meet the requirements of the new site.
The front end was no different: we imported our new framework, then built up every page by hand, making sure we cleared away the years of re-writes that we had applied to the old site. My job involved co-ordinating the development, as well as re-writing the front end, which took up all of my time and spare brain cycles for the full four months.
Initially we knew what features we were going to be building in, but as we didn’t have a designer working for us at the time, we didn’t know how it was going to look. I was building to a rough wireframe that I threw together for each page until we could get a full design drawn up. Halfway through the build process we hired Nicki, and then we had designs which really helped to pull it all together. The two weeks before we deployed is where the pressure mounted, and were the hardest I’ve ever had to work. We were working 16-hour RedBull-fueled days getting it all finished, built and tested on time, despite significant last minute changes to design and functionality days before we went live.
We’re very happy with the way it has come out, and hope to prove ourselves with the results.
A lot has changed since we first started Libboo back in 2007; for a start we’ve gone from Chris and I working in our spare time to a team of 8 people. We’ve been through the MassChallenge and Techstars accelerator programs, both of which have significantly improved us as a team, the focus of the company, and the reach of our network. Then there is the more than $1M that we have raised to keep us working, developing, and refining what we have.
So now we’ve released our pilot, the result of a pivot, where we fundamentally changed what we were doing, and how we were doing it. We realized that although some people had trouble writing books, it wasn’t the main issue they were facing. The main issue is they had trouble getting discovered, and that’s a problem that nobody has been able to solve yet.
Back in 2007 Chris and I started working on an idea in our spare time. The idea was for a website where a user could write and publish their books online, a problem that no one had satisfactorily solved back in 2007.
We met up in the evenings and on weekends, and started to work out how we could solve the problem. The process started slowly; we didn’t have a lot of time, and we were learning the programming languages we were building in as we went. Our skills improved, and so did our speed and the accuracy in which we worked.
Over the next year and a half we put in more and more time, while still working alongside our jobs. We were attempting to get the site in a state where we could show people, and finally finished the first alpha version of our product in mid 2009. It took us a long time, and the end result in comparison to the current Libboo was terrible, but that wasn’t important.
We had committed ourselves the project, we had put in time and energy, and we had successfully created a product that could potentially solve the problem. More importantly, we had managed to pass the first hurdle that many others fail on: actually getting something out.